CognoCentric
 

 
Email me at careygage "at" yahoo "dot" com You know what to do with the "at" and the "dot"
 
 
  Steven DenBeste
Glenn Reynolds
James Lileks
Citizen Smash
OpinionJournal Best of the Web
Plain Old OpinionJournal
Moira Breen
Tim Blair
Damian Penny
Stuart Buck
Stephen Green
Rand Simberg
Martin Devon
Fritz Schrank
Meryl Yourish
Happy Fun Pundit
Overlawyered
Unqualified Offerings
Andrew Sullivan
The Onion
The New York Sun
Jane Galt
Mark Steyn
Cut on the Bias
Scrappleface
Bill Whittle
 
 
Saturday, August 17, 2002
 
Via Tim Blair.

Susan Sarandon on 9/11:

The actress said one of the positive results of the September 11 attacks was that it gave America something in common with other countries who have fallen prey to terrorism.

"Afterwards, I said to my kids: 'We've joined the rest of the world now'," she said.

"You're so lucky in Ireland, England and Spain. Everyone there already knows what it's like to have inexplicable terrorist violence."


God damn, what a stupid thing to say. This came out of the mouth of an actress who is supposedly trained to discern and empathize with the emotions of others?

I live within sight of the WTC. One of the reasons we bought this house was the view of the NYC skyline. The view from my window gave me a great deal of pleasure.

On 9/11 I was alerted to the attack by a friend and colleague to whom I was talking on the phone. I went to the window and watched. From the safety of my living room far removed from the scene, I saw the antenna atop One WTC disappear as the building collapsed. As a result, I will never take the same pleasure in the view from my window again. Amazingly, that was the only personal loss I suffered on 9/11, and for that I consider myself fortunate. But the "loss" I feel every time I look at the altered NYC skyline is completely and utterly insignificant in comparson to the losses borne by dead and their familes. I think they would disagree that everyone now knows "what it's like to have inexplicable terrorist violence."

And not just the dead at the Pentagon and the WTC and their families. The causalties of any terror attack anywhere (and those closest to them) bear the same unique burden. The dead know nothing. But their families know what its like. I don't, and neither do you, Ms. Sarandon.

And I don't think they consider themselves lucky.

I sure as hell hope I never get that lucky.

| Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com

 

 
   
  This page is powered by Blogger, the easy way to update your web site.  

Home  |  Archives  
Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com